Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fallling Forward

Hurting my knee has had some very far reaching effects in my life, and the process of recovering has been much more arduous than I would have expected. I didn’t’ want to have surgery at first, and resisted it. Finally though, I came around. It was necessary. I asked my body and it told me. Ever the optimist, I joked with the surgeon that I was going to leave the hospital and head straight to the gym. Hah! You think I am kidding right? I AM NOT. I remember coming out of anesthesia and asking to speak to the doctor, saying, “If I cannot go to the gym this week, can I take a long walk by Saturday?” (It was Tuesday.) He answered, “You will see for yourself.” Hah. My doctor knew. By Saturday, I could barely get out of bed, let alone take a walk! This was not even close to reality. In fact, even months later, I’ve had to adjust my exercise regimen DRASTICALLY.

As a body image mastery mentor, you can imagine how important movement is in my life. I LOVE to work out. It is a BIG part of my self-care. It is how I honor my body, the one true home that my soul gets to live in, and it is how I honor my spirit. I truly appreciate and own the emotional peace and relief that comes from 60 minutes of exercise a day – so much so that I often do two or three times that much. Not any more though. Now, I basically take all of the effort I used to put into exercising my body, and pour it into being PATIENT with it instead.

Allowing the PROCESS of healing to BE a process is not easy, but I know that the universe is teaching me every moment of every day. My job is simply to be open and hear the lessons.
Can anyone out there relate to any of this? I would love to hear from you if you can.

No comments: